The world’s top travel experiences have been announced by TripAdvisor, with a cooking class at a Tuscan farmhouse revealed as the most sought after and best-rated tour.
The £87.60 ($116) experience, which sees people rustle up Tuscan cuisine from ingredients bought at a market, was followed in the rankings by a £28.60 ($37) bike tour of Berlin and a one-day sightseeing tour of New York, costing £64.41 ($84).
Experiences in the UK were ranked separately, with a £139 ($184) trip to Stonehenge, which gives travellers exclusive access to the ‘inner circle’, bagging the number one spot.
The world’s top travel experiences have been announced by TripAdvisor, with a cooking class at a Tuscan farmhouse revealed as the most-sought after and best-rated tour
A £28.60 bike tour of Berlin was rated as the world’s second-best tour, with the Alexanderplatz and the Berlin Wall on the itinerary
A £44 ($58) day trip to Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Scottish Highlands was the second best-rated experience in Britain, followed by a £35 ($46) rock music tour of London.
Overall, the British capital boasts six of the top ten UK travel experiences.
Others to make it on the list include a £77 ($102) Harry Potter Warner Bros. studio visit, a comprehensive tour of the Tower of London for £26 ($34) and a hop-on hop-off bus trip for £32 ($42).
Hopping back to the global list, a £96 ($127) climb of Sydney Bridge came fourth and a VIP trip to the Vatican waltzed in at fifth place, with the £97.40 ($128) excursion including an exclusive breakfast at the Vatican along with early access to the museum and Sistine Chapel.
TRIPADVISOR TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE AWARDS FOR EXPERIENCES 2018
TOP TEN EXPERIENCES IN THE WORLD
1. Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan Farmhouse with Local Market Tour from Florence – Florence
2. Berlin Bike Tour – Berlin
3. New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour – New York
4. Sydney Bridge Climb – Sydney
5. Vatican VIP Experience: Exclusive Breakfast at the Vatican with Early Access to Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel – Rome
6. New Orleans Cooking Class – New Orleans
7. Rotorua Maori Hangi Dinner and Performance – Rotorua, New Zealand
8. Best of Niagara Falls Tour from Niagara Falls, Ontario – Canada
9. Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus -Canada
10. Wild Wicklow Tour including Glendalough from Dublin – Dublin
TOP TEN EXPERIENCES IN THE UK
1. Inner Circle Access of Stonehenge including Bath and Lacock Day Tour from London – London
2. Loch Ness, Glencoe, and the Highlands Small Group Day Trip from Glasgow – Glasgow
3. London Rock Music Tour – London
4. Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter – London
5. Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands Small-Group Day Trip from Edinburgh – Edinburgh
6. Tower of London Entrance Ticket Including Crown Jewels and Beefeater Tour – London
7. The Original London Sightseeing Tour: Hop-on Hop-off – London
8. City Sightseeing Edinburgh Hop-On Hop-Off Tour – Edinburgh, Scotland
9. Tower of London, Changing of the Guard, Thames Cruise with Harrods Cream Tea or London Eye Upgrade – London
10. Giant’s Causeway Day Trip from Belfast – Belfast, Northern Ireland
Travellers on the £96 Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, which came in at fourth place, can absorb the best views of Sydney from the top of the structure
A VIP trip to the Vatican ranked fifth, with the £97.40 excursion including an exclusive breakfast at the Vatican along with early access to the museum and Sistine Chapel
Simmering at number six is a cooking class in New Orleans for £23 ($30), with a traditional Maori show and dinner in New Zealand leaping in at number seven.
For £69.10 ($90), tourists are treated to a traditional feast, after watching a ‘powerful display of song and dance’.
Rounding out the top ten is a £91.70 ($120) tour of Niagara Falls, a £121.90 ($160) bus tour from Vancouver to Victoria in British Columbia and a comprehensive tour of Wicklow and Glendalough in Ireland priced at £29.50 ($39).
The winners of Tripadvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards For Experiences were determined using an algorithm that took into account a business’s reviews, opinions and popularity with travellers over the last year.
Commenting on the results, TripAdvisor spokesperson James Kay said: ‘Travel is all about new experiences and these awards, decided by reviews and ratings from the TripAdvisor community, showcase some of the best things to do around the world for every type of traveller.
‘Whether it’s a cooking class at a Tuscan farmhouse, a glow worm cave tour in New Zealand, or exclusive inner circle access at Stonehenge, these awards highlight fantastic ways for travellers to immerse themselves in the local culture whilst also inspiring local residents to experience something new right on their doorstep.’
- To see all of the 2018 Travellers’ Choice award-winning experiences, go to www.tripadvisor.com.
Experiences in the UK were ranked separately, with a £139 trip to Stonehenge, which gives travellers exclusive access to the inner circle, bagging the number one spot
A £44 day trip to Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Scottish Highlands was the second best-rated experience in Britain
Travellers can delve into London’s legendary music history with the London Rock Music Tour, bookable from £35 per person